Monday, February 13, 2012

The stages of starting a new writing project


1. Excitement. This is going to be the one, you just know it. Forget about those fucking awful two 'novels' lying in the bottom of your desk drawer: this time it will all be different.

2. Disbelief. It's coming so easily, you never knew it could be so easy. Who said writing was hard? Liars, all of them. Or maybe I'm just a genius and never knew it? Fuck I AM a genius, I know it.

3. Niggling Doubt. Okay so it's slowing down but you're still writing, you still think what you wrote yesterday and the day before and the day before that is pretty good. Time to put your head down and Get It Done.

4. Boredom. I really thought sitting at my desk every day would be more fun than this.

5. Despair. I hate this story, I hate these fucking characters, I hate every word I've ever written.

6. Excitement. This is going to be the one, you just know it. Forget about those fucking awful three 'novels' lying in the bottom of your desk drawer: this time it will all be different.

No comments: