Monday, May 19, 2014

3 reasons Croupier is a great, great movie you should be watching right now.


1. Clive Owen. No really: CLIVE OWEN. I've long had a reasonably soft spot for Owen, with his symmetrical good looks and gravelly tones, but the last movie I loved him in was Sin City - quite some time ago - and I'd forgotten just how entrancing he can be when he's entirely on form. He is electric. He is fantastic. I want to have 300 of his babies. Or maybe just eat him with a spoon.

2. The whole movie is quietly full of really quite brilliant advice about how to live your life. As someone who has no idea how to live life I eat this shit up with a spoon. You're either a croupier or a gambler, Owen's character intones at one point, and I find myself thinking yes, yes you're so right. But my favourite, and a little line I use again and again on myself to recover from loss or disappointment? "Hang on tightly, let go lightly." How perfect is that? It's perfect it is.

3. "Now he had become the still centre of that spinning wheel of misfortune. The world turned 'round him leaving him miraculously untouched. The croupier had reached his goal: he no longer heard the sound of the ball." This is the opening monologue to the movie. If you can watch it and turn off the movie without watching a minute more then you, Sir, are mental.

No comments: