Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mood music


I'm not saying I'm angry at the world tonight but if I was doing an impression of a moody teen in her room with the stereo on I might be listening to some of these and I would highly recommend you do the same next time you feel the need, ideally as loud as propriety will allow.



Nick Cave, Thirsty Dog
I should have posted one of Cave's live performances but all the ones I could find were a bit rubbish and since this is the perfect angry song I didn't want to muck it up. This song asks more questions than it answers (um, what happened at the hospital, for starters?) and is basically perfect. Love's always having to say you're sorry? True that.



The Buzzcocks, Everybody's Every Happy Nowadays
This one - and the record it comes from - got a serious workout from me in the late 1990s and early noughties. There aren't that many bands from that era I can go back to again and again but The Buzzcocks are one of them.



The Men, Candy
I don't know what it is about this song that makes me think of flicking cigarettes the faces of those that have wronged me. I wish, obviously.



The Ramones, Judy is a Punk
I used to have this song ready on my iPod in London when I had to run up a lot of steps to get from one tube to another or generally wanted to be closeted in my own little world for a very short period of time. If you listen to it I think you can see why.


PJ Harvey, This Is Love
This is a very good song, is what it is.



The Smiths, Half a Person
Obviously. I could have chosen a good half a dozen other tracks but this one is a keeper.



Robyn, Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do
The clue is in the title.

No comments: