Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Things I have told myself to alternately justify buying/talk myself out of buying Martha Holmbeg's cookbook, Modern Sauces


If I bought this book I could finally learn how to make hollandaise, bearnaise and feel fancy and clever.

You could make those things anyway without buying the book.

Pfft by looking recipes up on the internet? What am I, a cretin who doesn't value other people's intellectual property?

Um, no, dude. Nigella Lawson's excellent book, How to Eat, has recipes for heaps of classic sauces. You own a copy of it. It's right there. Start with that.

Okay but Holmbeg's book has a whole chapter on cream sauces. Let me repeat: A CHAPTER ON CREAM SAUCES.

How many cream sauces do you reasonably want to make?

ALL OF THEM.

I'm not sure...

She also has a whole chapter on caramel sauces. I mean, didn't even... know there was more than one. I thought caramel sauce was just... caramel sauce. One thing. Apparently I've been wrong all these years.

Again, how many caramel sauces do you...

ALL OF THEM. 

I feel like we're getting off track here. I appreciate that cookbooks are good fun to read and can be practical but in these times of financial austerity couldn't you just cook recipes you haven't tried from the books you already own?

But that... maybe. What's your point?

There's a shit-ton of recipes you've always wanted to try but never got around to sitting on your kitchen bench. Maybe you should try cooking them first and exploring what you do have before purchasing a new cookbook, which you'll dive into with enthusiasm only to put aside after trying, maybe three or four recipes, because you have the attention span of a young cocker spaniel.

ALSO THERE IS ANOTHER CHAPTER ON BUTTER SAUCES THAT IS ALL I WILL BID YOU GOOD DAY, SIR.

No comments: