Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Gimme some sugar


I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to food, chemicals, what's going to kill me and what's going to make me live until I'm 200. When the conversation about this or that foodstuff or food practice gets complicated my policy is to trust the weight of scientific consensus, with the understanding that sometimes scientists gets things wrong. I also think it's a fair assumption that in general unprocessed food is going to be better for you than processed food. You don't need to be a member of Mensa to appreciate that eating an apple is probably better for you than eating apple pie. At the same time that doesn't mean I don't eat apple pie.

What I don't particularly care for (but largely find it pretty easy to ignore) is the growing tendency to refer to sugar as "toxin", treat gluten like a poison and get smug about eating that chocolate pie because it's made with dates and almond meal instead of white sugar and the tears of dolphins.

All of which is a long way of saying I enjoyed (and mostly agree with) this takedown, via Gawker, of the Food Babe who is, uh, well she's kind of the worst.

No comments: