Sunday, July 5, 2009


“I sat with the telephone receiver in my hand and I looked at hate like an ugly and foolish man whom one does not want to know. I dialled her number. I must have caught her before she had time to leave the telephone and said: ‘Sarah,tomorrow’s all right, I’d forgotten something. Same place. Same time.' And sitting there, my fingers on the quiet instrument, with something to look forward to, I thought to myself: I remember. This is what hope feels like.” (Graham Greene, The End of the Affair)

2 comments:

mike g said...

I haven't read it, but for some reason it reminds me of "On Green Dolphin Street", although I'm not sure that's a flattering comparison?

my name is kate said...

It is brilliant. Do you remember that Charlie Brooker article on romance I think I pointed you towards once? That quotes from The End of the Affair at the end. You should read it - it's BRILLIANT> I've never read On Green Dolphin Street, though: I'll put it on The List.