Sunday, November 16, 2014

All the seas of joy/ Sound wonderfully near/ Since you've been here


As a teenager I had a big ol' crush on Samuel Johnson, who then played a starring role in not just my fantasies but the popular and really rather good TV show The Secret Life of Us. It helped that he bore (I felt) a passing resemblance to the real life object of yet another (somewhat unrequited) crush: the spritely young chap who would eventually become my husband. (Sidenote: I recently found an old diary which actually drew parallels between my crush on Andy and Samuel's character's crush on Claudia Karvan so... yeah. I was so young and so delusional back them. Also seems like I had kind of a lot of spare time on my hands).

Anyway, I grew out of my Samuel Johnson crush but had I known then what I know now, I suspect I would never have given it up and may have developed into a borderline stalker of the poor bastard because maaaaan he's done a really awfully nice piece of writing for the Saturday Paper this week. You can and you should read it here. If you need me I'll be on the couch mainlining The Secret Life of Us.

No comments: