Thursday, November 27, 2014

"Hammond, after some consideration, I've decided not to endorse your park"


I have long nursed a serious lady boner (sorry) for the original Jurassic Park franchise. I loved the original book/movie, ditto the follow-up, The Lost World, and the third movie... well, like the rest of the world I signed off on an agreement to pretend that shit sandwich never existed so let's not dwell. 

The original movie in particular is - to me - is a genuine action classic and barely a month goes by without me quoting the line: "Clever girl".... usually at Andy for being almost as clever as a Velociraptor (but probably not quite). It's also a movie that has given me recurring nightmares, including one in which I try to escape the T-Rex by - for reasons unknown - zipping myself inside one of the cushions of my old family couch. Yeeeeeeah. I probably wouldn't survive long in the wild.

Anyways, all of this is a long-winded way of saying that I am 100 per cent excited by the prospect of the latest installment, Jurassic World, even if it's still a good 8 months away. Chris Pratt? Check. Cheap scares? Check. Life finding a way? Double check. At this point I am so so so over superhero movies (my beloved X-Men not withstanding) that I'm especially thrilled by the possibility of a spectacle-type movie that doesn't involve spandex or - God help us - another fucking origin story.

No comments: