Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Things I ate today: marble melting moment


I've recently 'discovered' and fallen for the podcast Mike And Tom Eat Snacks, a podcast that is.... pretty much exactly what it sounds like. What are they about? They pick a snack, they eat a snack, they rate a snack. What do they stand for? Respect for women. 

I'm sorry, that's a joke for fans only. But, honestly: it's a lot of fun, would recommend to a friend.
So it's with a nod to that delightful product that I introduce a new maybe-regular feature for my far less delightful blog in which I, well, rate my daily snacks. Unlike M&T I'm not out there picking different and interesting snacks to write about - this is more of a lazyarse 'write about what I happen to be eating anyway' kind of a thing. Given my afternoon tea treat most days is a little block of Lindt dark chocolate this feature may be... short-lived. Or repetitive

Still, there was no Lindt dark chocolate for me this week. Instead, I present: a marble melting moment I ate yesterday! Excitement!

The snack: A marble melting moment biscuit from The Exchange coffee shop in Osborne Park.

Appearance: Pleasing. Not as bulbous as a conventional melting moment, it looks like two chocolate chip biscuits sandwiched around a generous smear of chocolate icing.

Taste: Unfortunately it does not taste like two chocolate chip biscuits sandwiched around a smear of chocolate icing. For starters, there are no chips, per se, in the biscuit. Rather, the chocolate swirl has the same consistency as the rest of the biscuit. That makes sense, I'm not sure why I expected chips, but it's disappointing nonetheless. The chocolate filling, too, is a little disappointing: it’s chocolate and tastes sort of like icing but not – and here’s my key disappointment – like the butter-cream frosting I’d been hoping for. Again, this is really more my problem than the biscuit's: it didn't promise me butter-cream frosting or chips and yet I was disappointed by their absence. Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Ultimately the biscuit tastes pretty much like a regular melting moment, with chocolate substituted for the conventional vanilla or passionfruit filling, and I am not a big fan of melting moment. In hindsight, I may have chosen... poorly.

The verdict: A perfectly acceptable biscuit snack if you like melting moments. If I were peckish, in the mood for a biscuit and someone offered me one I'd take it and take it gladly. But would I order it again over, say, a chocolate brownie, lemon slice or these salty chocolate bars I've got hooked on lately? Unlikely.

No comments: