Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mistakes, mishapes, mistakes

People do things that are bad for them all the time. Well, no shit.

We do them even though we know they’re bad, of course we do. Why? Not, most of the time, because we want to self destruct but because things that are bad for us are often fun. I eat that delicious iced donut because I know it will taste fucking good, even if I’ll regret it later while staring at my gently undulating stomach. I open that second bottle of wine because I want the finest wines available to humanity even though I know I will vow to give up drinking forever as I chip my tooth (again) on the toilet bowl. I send that text message because it’s fun at the time and I can’t bear not to send it, even if I know it’s very ill-advised and I’ll be red-faced when I see the recipient.

But the line between doing things that are bad for us but can be borne and doing things that cost us too much is very fine. Like the line between being a heavy drinker and an alcoholic; between being greedy beggar who could stand to lose a few kilos and being obese; between indulging in harmless fun to doing things that actually make you miserable.

I… don’t really have a point but these are the lines that all of us have to manage every day, constantly, is all I’m saying. And sometimes, shit, it’s really hard. And, no, I shan't tell you what I've been doing but none of it is good - sigh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alcohol induced introspection? Ahh, how I've missed thee since.............yesterday (woo hoo - I've had an alcohol free 24hrs, and on a weekend no less!!)

shiny said...

Are you telling us that you had a big and regrettable night, love? Sigh. Haven't we all?

my name is kate said...

At least one of those things, observer, and nobody likes a smug (and sober) bastard, cb...

Anonymous said...

Don't they? Hi, my names CB one and it's been 57 hours since my last drink.........

Dave said...

I've got some great voicemail messages on my phone from you Kate. You know, just to make you feel a little bit better :)

my name is kate said...

Oh. Crap.