Thursday, December 27, 2007

This one comes with a disclaimer of extreme self indulgence

I know it’s not quite the end of the year but I’m in a reflective mood so bear with me or go and have a nice cup of tea and wank or something instead. Here come the self indulgent ramblings of a madwomen but I’m not going to try to stop myself because 2007 has been… well it’s been a pretty big year for me actually. A bit weird too. Some of the reasons why it’s been a bit that way are, sadly, not bloggable but most of them are so here I go…

WEIRDEST BIT: A toss-up between the job I find myself doing (and sort of liking) these days and the reasonably bizarre events of a few months ago that started with my calling a UK book reviewer a cock on this very blog and ended with me eating my words and finding out in person he was actually completely lovely. One makes for a better story but the other is probably more unexpected.

BEST BIT: Paul Keating said Kevin Rudd’s election victory felt like he’d been hosed down after ten years of being covered in toxic muck – I can’t put it better myself.

WORST BIT: Bad news affecting one of my favourite people in the world, about which I’ve only just learned, am still taking in and cannot go into here.

BIGGEST SUCCESS: Probably getting this job and not (so far) fucking it up. Of course the former came with a little help from my friends but they know who they (read: he) knows who they (read: he) are (read: is).

BIGGEST REGRET: I can’t think of anything more dire so I’ll go with the fact I have accrued a frankly ludicrous amount of parking tickets this year. The mind boggles.

BEST PURCHASE: Surely the plane ticket to take me to New York, Argentina and London two short months ago. I didn’t realise how much I needed a holiday until I spent those precious days drinking my way from BA to Mendoza. Although the dual purchases of two House DVDs and Flight of the Conchords also rate a mention.

WORST PURCHASE: Is there such a thing? Oh, okay, the stupid amounts of cashola I have spent on buying my lunch and frequently my breakfast every single day.

BEST NEW FIND: Books have been this years theme so it’s a toss-up between the gaspworthy Evelyn Waugh and the toe-curlingly good Raymond Chandler but I think the former has it by a nose. And for you non-literary types it must be Peep Show – the funniest new(ish) show I’ve seen in ages.

IN A YEAR’S TIME I WOULD LIKE TO BE: Working on my second novel with the help of a big fat advance check. Ahem.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Parking tickets are your biggest regret?? Can't complain about that...

my name is kate said...

Yeah I know but I can't think of anything else. Oh wait - maybe not snapping up a Northbridge apartment in Andy's absence and saying to hell with the consequences? Hmm...

Lindsay said...

My parents have the best sky tv known to man - I've just spent four hours watching peep show. I won't tell you what happens....