Saturday, December 15, 2007

When I'm a among a blaze of lights

When I’m among a blaze of lights,
With tawdry music and cigars
And women dawdling through delights,
And officers in cocktail bars,
Sometimes I think of garden nights
And elm trees nodding at the stars.

I dream of a small firelit room
With yellow candles burning straight,
And glowing pictures in the gloom,
And kindly books that hold me late.
Of things like these I choose to think
When I can never be alone:

Then someone says ‘Another drink?’
And turns my living heart to stone.

(Siegfried Sassoon)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sooooooo, how is that packing going????? ;-)

my name is kate said...

What are you trying to say? That the fact I've written three blogs means I'm trying to put anything off? Because um you could not be more wrong... ahem

Anonymous said...

ha ha. My housemates just called to say they helped push start a car full of junked up junkies from across the road. You're just not going to get that kind of entertainment in Shents you know.......

my name is kate said...

*sniff* I miss it already...