Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Deathwatch: The Catch Up

The Nine Network has announced a new daytime program for 2007: The Catch Up. I know it’s been created by Mia Freedman (of Cosmo fame, who I don’t mind) but I am officially starting the clock on this one.

I’m not sure what it is that makes me think that it’s going to be a terrific failure but I think some of the clues are in the media release…

“The Catch-Up will cover the hottest topics of the day in news,
entertainment, lifestyle, beauty, fashion and gossip – all the up-to-date
information that’s important to Australian women…From celebrity interviews to
the latest in international and local current affairs...

"The Catch-Up will offer insight and expert support on important topics
such as health, career, relationships and parenting, while also providing a good laugh and some light-hearted gossip.

"The Catch-Up will be co-hosted by a panel of four
fabulously
different women who will be joined by a rotating guest
co-host."

1. If you have to say it’s going to be a laugh it’s really not going to be.
2. The use of the word “fabulously” scares the shit out of me because I think I've travelled back in time to the year 1999 when Sex and the City was still a zeitgeist.

I suspect it might be car crash TV, though p'raps not bad enough to warrant actually tuning in.

No comments: