Sunday, November 26, 2006

"The more sensitive you are, the more likely you are to be brutalised... Never allow yourself to feel anything because you always feel too much."

"A movie that I was in, called On the Waterfront: there was a scene in a taxicab, where I turn to my brother, who's come to turn me over to the gangsters, and I lament to him that he never looked after me, he never gave me a chance, that I could have been a contender, I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum ... It was very moving. And people often spoke about that, "Oh, my God, what a wonderful scene, Marlon, blah blah blah blah blah." It wasn't wonderful at all. The situation was wonderful. Everybody feels like he could have been a contender, he could have been somebody, everybody feels as though he's partly bum, some part of him. He is not fulfilled and he could have done better, he could have been better. Everybody feels a sense of loss about something. So that was what touched people. It wasn't the scene itself. "

I saw On the Waterfront today for the first time and, as if the fact that Brando probably shagged James Dean and was a total leftie where it counted aren't reason enough to love him then watching him act the hell out of that movie sure is.

No comments: