Friday, February 9, 2007

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke)

I don’t know what was more depressing.

Seeing ten year old kids firing machine guns into crowds of screaming, running people or the part of my brain that, even while I was watching these and other seriously horrific scenes unfold onscreen, was thinking “gee that Leo Di Caprio he’s uh he’s looking um pretty good these days.

Yes I saw Blood Diamond last night and yes I have blogged about Di Caprio before so I’m not going to go over old ground… however talented and built that blonde, rugged old ground might be… and I uh... sorry, just took a cold shower and I’m back.

Actually today’s blog has nothing to do with actors and everything to do with my new New Years Resolution to make a (small) difference. I’m not getting all preachy because god knows I could do a lot more and if I hadn't seen this damn movie last night I'd probably be blogging about, god I don't know Footlose or something... but it's true that most of us really do have it pretty freaking easy when you look at the rest of the world and I, at least, don't don't nearly as much for other people as I ought to.

So if you too are high on a temporary state of idealism brought on by, of all things, a Hollywood movie, the enthusiasm for which will probably die long before the image of Di Caprio in camos does, you can check out these sites below and do good things. Some of these involve cash but all have things you can do without shelling out a pretty penny and lots of them you can do in a coffee break today:

Stuff you can do with Oxfam
Letters you can write for Amnesty International
The RSPCA
Don’t support conflict diamonds

No comments: